web space | free website | Business Web Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting

Wolf Crossings

A Rural Viewpoint On Wolf Reintroduction And Protection

Reality Bites 

{Download}1.78 megabytes

Updated 10-06

 

 

Inquest into suspected wolf-attack death set for February

Last Updated: Friday, October 27, 2006 | 10:30 AM CT

Five days in February 2007 have been set aside for an inquest into a tragic death in northern Saskatchewan.

A coroner's inquest will be held in Prince Albert, starting Feb. 5, to examine the death of Kenton Carnegie.

Carnegie, a 22-year-old university student on a work term at Points North Landing, was found dead near the mining supply camp in November 2005. The area is about 700 kilometres northeast of Saskatoon.

At the time, the RCMP said he was likely the victim of a wolf attack, although an official cause of death hasn't been released.

A CBC investigation found that wolves had been drawn to the area by an unregulated garbage dump.

The provincial coroner has been investigating, but there are still unanswered questions, which the coroner hopes to answer with the inquest.

The inquest jury will render a verdict on the time, place and cause of death and can make recommendations to help avoid similar deaths, said Saskatchewan Justice Department spokesman Andrew Dinsmore.

"These recommendations are then brought to the attention of the appropriate people and that can be agencies, departments of government, or ministries by the chief coroner," Dinsmore said.